Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mozart Gives You Wings


I am tickled by the latest Red Bull commercial literally featuring the cat that ate the canary. We see the subject pussy smacking his lips and wiping the corners of his mouth, then flosses with a string like he's drying himself with a towel. After a brief moment to admire himself in the mirror he preens his whiskers and grins up at the open and empty birdcage.

But what tickles me is the music accompanying the contented cat. Red bull has chosen Papageno's aria music from Mozart's Magic Flute. Red bull only included the music with no lyrics, so only those of us familiar with Papageno's opening aria knows that he sings about himself as the birdcatcher.

"I am the birdcatcher, yes I am! Always merry, heisa, hop-sa-sa!

...I can be happy and funny for the birds are all mine!"

Funny, Red Bull. Humor I can appreciate.

Labels:

Comments on "Mozart Gives You Wings"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 06, 2009 12:47 PM) : 

And just when I was starting to think that the media had been dumbed down, this came along. Being a life-long Mozart fan, I instantly recognized the tune. Even though I don't like Red Bull as a product, I give them major props for that commercial.

 

post a comment