Sunday, April 20, 2008

Am I having an inappropriate relationship?

I’m sleeping with Stephen King. And Dan Brown. And Earnest Hemingway. In fact, I have about a baker’s dozen or so books scattered on my rumpled bed, all in some process of being read. Fiction books. Literary magazines. Thesauruses. Non-fiction “how-to’s” and self help. All unconventionally yet reverently piled in a strange literary shrine . I cannot seem to keep only one book on my “current” list at one time. I abide by the old saying, “too many books, too little time.” By keeping my nose buried in multiple volumes, novels, and opuses (or would that be opi?) I feel like I am getting more read at one time. So here is where you ask, “why, Evil Baritone, are you keeping them stacked upon your mattress?” I have a bookshelf. Sure. But it is at least a dozen steps away from my nice, warm bedroom. Why, dear reader, would I want to expose my nekkid self to the harsh cold of the living room, when I can stay cozy and warm under my covers in my humidified, temperature controlled domain?

Currently I have found yet another favorite author. I’ve been on a recent quest for short stories, including the shorts of Stephen King in his Skeleton Crew and Nightmares & Dreamscapes collections. While at Powell’s books in search of more horror to quelch my macabre thirst, a very cute employee (and no, I didn't get her number -- damn my introverted shyness!) introduced me to a new up-and-coming horror and supernatural genre author, Joe Hill. Joe has a lifetime of learning and tutelage from the “King” of horror, yes, Stephen himself. Joe is Mr. King’s firstborn son. I am nearing the completion of his short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts. I highly recommend Joe to anyone who likes horror or supernatural. He can pen fresh and imaginative plots and characters that really capture the fantastic and improbable condition of human relations. Go get his book today!

Comments on "Am I having an inappropriate relationship?"

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (April 27, 2008 6:42 AM) : 

First of all, thanks for the nekkid visual.

I personally legitimize me rumpled bedding with David Sedaris. Or Celia Rivenbark - how could you not pick up a book entitled Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like A Skank?

Do you read more than one book at a time, or are you fully committed to one and finish it before you start another?

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (May 01, 2008 12:24 PM) : 

Oh, and P.S.

I'll show ya an inappropriate relationship...

 

post a comment